Saturday, January 16, 2010

Behaviorist Learning Theories

“In defining behavior, behaviorist learning theories emphasize changes in behavior that result from stimulus-response associations made by the learner” (Orey, 2001). As a teacher, we must find ways to create engaging ways for students to become involved in the classroom and experience learning in new and inviting ways. In the Learning Resources for this week, we discovered two instructional strategies that correlate to behaviorist theory practices: reinforcing theory and homework and practice.

Within the text, Understanding Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, the authors state that “the instructional strategy of reinforcing effort enhances student’s understanding of the relationship between effort and achievement by addressing their attitudes and beliefs about learning” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kahn&
Malenoski, 2007, p. 155). This text describes the use of charts and graphs to allow students to see the progress that they are making in a particular area. I do find that when I tutor and teach students, they get the impression that I am not a teacher and this is a time when they do not have to work their hardest. I make it a point to establish myself as a teacher and create lessons that are reinforcements of topics that they are learning in their class so that they can see the changes that occur in their “real” classrooms. I have used charts with some students who, like me, need a visual understanding such as a graph to organize and see progress. It has really helped some of my students and also brings an excitement to their learning. I also let students input their own grades and information onto their graph so that can be a part of their learning and their success.

The second instructional strategy is the use of homework and practice. Homework has been a way for students to practice what they have learned in class and has also been a “chance for students to review and apply what they have learned” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kahn& Malenoski, 2007, p. 187). With technology these days, it is easy for teachers to being to design homework that is stimulating for students rather than dull and monotonous. There are times when basic homework of drill work might be necessary, yet technology provides ways for students to become connected while reinforcing a topic learned in class. One example might be for the teacher to pose a question in a class wiki whether it be on a book being read or a math problem and for homework that night have students submit their responses online and perhaps comment on other classmates responses (this can be modified to accommodate for those that might not have a computer). Getting students engaged in a different type of homework might help to really have students apply their knowledge and reach further than writing something on paper and handing it in never to see it again. As Dr. Michael Orey discussed that reinforcement is powerful (Laureate, 2009), finding ways for students to really become involved in their learning and bring a connectedness to the classroom is powerful.

References:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology. Baltimore: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

Orey, M.(Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Main_Page

5 comments:

  1. Creating the engaging ways for our students is a great feeling as a teacher. I love figuring out different ways to reach my students. It is important to allow the students to ‘grade’ themselves sometimes. This allows for you to see what they think they deserve for the amount of work that they did as well as allowing you to see their mind set when grading themselves.

    Homework can be fun and there are ways to do drill in practice without the students feeling that is what you are doing. Many of the websites / online activities that are available do drill and practice but is interactive with the students so that they do not get board doing it. Homework needs to be informative for not only the students but for ourselves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it would be neat to have students post online to class wikis. I have also set up blogs in my classroom. Each student has a blog and posts to it on a regular basis. I also have the students post to each other's blogs. The only problem I run into, is like you mentioned, students who do not have computers at home. I work in a district that is a lower income district, which makes it difficult to do these kinds of things for homework. My students hate homework and I wish I could do this instead; however, I feel that I can only do it at school due to the few students who would not be able to complete the homework. Have you given students homework on the computer before? If so, how do you assign it to the students without computers, especially something that is considered cooperative learning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacqueline,

    I have not given homework on the computer before. I am a tutor and consultant teacher and that does not always require me to give homework. I feel that if I were to give students homework on the computer I would have an assignment where students have a couple of days to finish the assignment giving them time to find access to a computer whether it is at school or outside of school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to your comments, I also agree that technology is an excellent way of using homework to reinforce what was taught in class while allowing students to feed off one another. I personally do assign drill homeworks such a reading 40 minutes a night and logging it in but I also assign homeworks that are creative. For example, every friday my students have to create their own Newspapers of 3 stories using the real current events. After reading this past week's resources, I have decided to have a current events blog page that will allow students to post their news article on our current events blog, this way the students can reflect and feedback on one another's assignment bringing the classroom participation into their homes. This idea is also similiar to yours (Jacqueline) because as you said we can use the computer for assignments where the children have a couple of days to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had trouble seeing how the use of graphs would really help students see how their effort pays off. But, I didn't think about a small group or one-on-one setting. I think that might be more effective in a tutoring situation, rather than for an entire class or grade level.

    ReplyDelete