Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cooperative Learning


Cooperative Learning is one way for students to learn in the classroom not only through a teacher- student focus but through student to student interactions. It is learning that allows students to begin working with each other, sharing knowledge and working towards a common goal. There are many times that I have used cooperative learning in my teaching whether it is quick, “Think Pair Share” where students take a minute to think of what the question asked means to them and then share it with a partner, or in a larger scale with partner or group projects. I think that cooperative learning is great way for student to share knowledge on a level that may be more meaningful to them and broken down in a way that they will understand and retain the information.

"Cooperative learning focuses on having students interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn and Malenoski, 2007, p. 139). Cooperative Learning can take place within the classroom and with the introduction of new technology tools such as blogs and wikis, students can collaboratively work together to create an informational data base that can be used in many different schools across that nation and across the world. Allowing students to become engaged with one another and having a true hand in their learning helps to expand students’ knowledge base and truly benefit from their learning and experiences.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

4 comments:

  1. I love using the Think Pair Share method in my classroom. I call it TPS and my students are so used to me saying it that they can usually finish my sentence when I start saying it. Something that takes such little time can and does have a great impact on their learning. They build and gain confidence with themselves and learn to express their feelings / ideas with their classmates.

    Using Blogs and Wikis is a great way for students to interact with each other while being outside of school. Students express feelings that they will not while being in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like to use the Think Pair Share strategy in my classroom of high school English students. It gives students a chance to form their own learning, and then it gives them the opportunity to gain insight from another peer. Adding technology is a great way to bring new life to many collaborative strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach third grade and I can not do the Think Pair Share but I do use a lot of peer sharing. After I teach a lesson I have the students pair up to do the review sheet that goes with the lesson. This helps the students who were not quite paying attention to me get the information from their partner. For those students who were paying attention, they get to share what they learned which also gets them to hear the information again. Cooperative learning allows students to share their ideas and knowledge with their peers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised that my 1st graders could do the Think Pair Share. I am sure it looks a lot different from a highschoolers version. However, they do internalize their thoughts and then share with a friend next to them. I feel this gives all children a voice. I do not always have time to listen to everyones ideas and this makes their thoughts heard by someone.

    I also think that when we let them tell someone about their learning they are teaching it over and this adds to the ability to retain the information.
    Great thoughts...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete