Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Developing a Personal GAME Plan


The National Education Technology Standards and Performance Indicators for Teachers allow teachers to reflect on and learn to implement different experiences for students in the classroom. These standards help teachers set goals and benchmarks for learning in the classroom while integrating technology.

The first area of the NETS-T standards that I would like to strength my knowledge and confidence in is Model Digital-Age Work and Learning. Within this standard you are to become fluent in different technology systems so much so that you can easily integrate them into your teaching and into your classroom. I have not worked with many of the different technology systems that are in place in a lot of classrooms today (Smart Boards and other digital learning tools…). I would like to know more about these different technology tools as they can make my teaching more engaging and I could have more knowledge with which to share with other teachers and colleagues. Some of the steps that I would take to achieve this goal of becoming more proficient in this area would be to observe more in classrooms where teachers are using these different tools and taking the time to talk with them and gain ideas of how I can integrate this type of technology within my own teaching. As I have the basic knowledge of communication and am able to communicate regularly via email to parents and other teachers, I would like to extend this knowledge by eventually creating a blog in which students and parents can communicate with me and look to see different websites or other information that I have posted that is useful to my students. I can monitor this by doing a trial and error blog to see if it is as effective as I would hope.

A second area of the NETS-T standards that I would like to become more acquainted with is the area of Engaging in Profession Growth and Leadership. I have begun to subscribe to different educational blogs in my RSS feeder which I can read through at my leisure and they provide me with different experiences and information from teachers all over our nation and the world. There are so many different opportunities that come through my email each day. As these blogs are very beneficial, so would taking the time to discover more about the professional development opportunities in my area. These opportunities can range from leadership conferences, math or reading skill building, autism awareness, technology courses and many more. These courses would be so beneficial to building my knowledge base in many different areas of teaching especially in the areas of technology which not many people may have the knowledge of. In order to achieve this goal of taking on more of a professional growth mindset, I would like to begin attending 1-2 seminars a year. I would apply this new knowledge to my teaching and share this information with other teachers with whom I work. I feel that contributing to my school community in this way is not only beneficial to me as I am growing and learning through these opportunities, but I am sharing the knowledge with others so that everyone has the opportunities to establish a more engaging classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Chrissy,

    It sounds like you really know what two NETS-T standards you are going to work on strengthening and how you are going to monitor your progress! Great GAME plan! I also, have not worked with a lot of the different types of technology available in classrooms. The technology is just not available at our school. Do you have the same problem? I think that observing teachers in neighboring schools is the best way to learn about these new technologies! I like your idea of going to technology seminars! If you go to any that are available good and available in other states, please share!!

    Thanks for the post,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissy,

    This past school year was my first year with a SMARTboard. I went to 3 PD with trainers from the company, BUT my best PD was with a teacher that already had one and used it to the fullest potential. You are smart in tagging along with teachers that already utilze the technology. It was the best experience for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissy,

    I love your picture for this blog! You have a wonderful GAME plan! I hadn't thought about the RSS feeds in quite awhile, but your plan to utilize them for professional development is a great idea! Attending seminars is another good idea. Since I am now unemployed, I have signed up for a computer course at SUNY OSWEGO hoping to enhance what I am learning through Walden and to give me more supervised hands-on learning!

    ReplyDelete